Tuesday 16 November 2021

Black Friday Savings Start Today! Battery-Heated Thermal Vest for Winter Sports

Black Friday Savings Start Now!  Hurry And Save!

Stay warm for up to 8 hours in the cold.

<em

 
nature symbol

FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS

fire and ice
 

BLACK FRIDAY DISCOUNTS!

Battery-Powered Thermal Vest

Stay toasty for up to 8 hours in the cold.

Get the Vest Up To 40% Off!
 
3 Heat Settings
With three customizable heat settings, you can adjust the vest according to your individual needs. Do some brisk Sunday yard work or take a ski trip in the mountains. The vest can handle it all.
 
Therapy and Relief

If you suffer from chronic back pain, this vest may be able to offer you some relief, especially in the cold months of winter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rally-Edwards Intellectual Services
445 Armstrong Road, Seneca, SC 29678-1505

Adjust email preferences here

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CW: terminal illness, suicidal ideation

?Does the wind always blow this way?? asked the Eastern visitor, holding onto his hat.

 

?No mister,? said the cowboy. ?It?ll maybe blow this way for a week or ten days, and then it?ll take a change and blow like hell.?

 

A tired chuckle followed, and then a profound silence. The odd pair looked with great envy upon the prairie grass, which with its two-foot roots had long been the great withstander of both storm and drought. After a moment of contemplation their eyes met suddenly, and then darted apart. No significant words came, but an understanding was reached nevertheless. They had each been moved by the realization of a sublime, forgotten kinship with the land.  

 

For although men and grass are tread upon in equal measure, men are far the more delicate. And while the wind can coax a blade of grass back to standing, a man blown over is never quite the same.

 

***

 

I was born with a gun to my head.

 

Cancer.

 

Cancer was a name I found in a book. The word made a strange shape in my mouth, one I tried and failed to spit out. In our two-horse town, where tongues were dry from long days working in the sun, it would suffice to say that I had come up short. In other words, I wasn?t long for this world.

 

When I first got sick, I thought maybe I had done something to piss off God. That I had missed one too many prayers, or that my first baptism didn?t count because I couldn?t remember it. But only children, or men with childlike minds, can think that God is up there nitpicking.

 

I don?t think so. God?s not a stiff-lipped schoolteacher doling out merits and demerits. God?s a gambler, with one hand over his eyes and the other waving a revolver at his creation. I figure maybe it's only in destruction that he can find inspiration. What does that leave for us men? To hope we?re not in the sights when pin strikes hammer.

 

I guess I?ve been unlucky, if you want to put it that way.

 

But ultimately, I got sick because I was supposed to. My pa did, and so did pa?s pa, and so did a lot of men that looked like me. Each of them prayed plenty, and none of them could beat this damn thing.

 

So before pa went skyward, he gave me some advice.

 

He said, ?If I pass, or your mother does?when we both do?I want you to take whatever love you have for us, and give it freely to all who cross your path.?

 

I?ll forget those words when I forget my father?s face.

 

In the spring of my sixteenth year, when I was at my skinniest, a raggedy doctor came into town. He was just passing through, word had it. Far be it from me to bother a weary traveler? but at this point, there was much about myself I didn?t recognize. Bags under my eyes. A faint greenish hue to my face. A lump in my side. Shame wasn?t going to kill me, but the tumor was.

 

At a crossroads, I dropped to my knees before the doctor and begged for his help. Medicine, surgery, whatever it took. Anything but another hail mary.

 

When I awoke from the operation, the doctor was gone. But, as my mother told me through joyous tears, so was the tumor.

 

God?s a gambler, but he pays his debts. I remember writing in a letter to a distant friend that maybe God made me a wretch so that I could see his angels for what they were. And I am certain, in retrospect, that that is what that raggedy doctor was: an angel. Providence. Unable to thank him directly, I searched for a little bit of him in everyone I met.

 

The book?not the Good Book, but the one that taught me the word cancer?was very firm about tempering my optimism. It said a tumor can disappear without a trace, and then up and come back stronger than ever, just when you least expect it.

 

Luck seemed to be on my side, however I was healthy, free. For better or worse, I figured I ought to start betting the long shot.

 

If the scar on my abdomen wasn?t reminder enough of the wickedness that had been carved from me, there was the sinking sensation. It was always there, especially when I laid me down to sleep. And every now and then, when I found myself in endless deliberation about some course of action or another, the sensation would remind me that it didn?t really matter which choice I made. All that mattered was that I was still around to make choices.

 

Later on in life, when asked why I did what I did, I?d simply say, ?I had a gut feeling.?

 

The very first thing my gut told me to do was marry the Baker?s daughter, the girl who blushed so hard I could see red through the flour dusted over her cheeks. Some said we were too young, but at sixteen, we were already a third of the way through an average life on the plains. And well, I wanted more time with her than without her, so that was that.

 

I started working as a deputy to make ends meet. Just before our first anniversary came around, the Baker?s daughter had a bun in the oven. I wanted to be as thrilled about the baby as she was, but truth be told, my gut feeling had changed. I thought, what if the kid gets sick like me? What if he?s not as lucky as I was? Still, I did everything I was supposed to do, everything God would ask of me. I bit my tongue, held my woman?s hand, and prayed for the best.

 

The thing about making bets is that the house always wins in time.

 

We lost our little boy before he ever got to set foot in the prairie grass. And I have to tell you, the Baker?s daughter didn?t appreciate the way I handled that news.

 

So it was that I had lost everything. Not for the first time, and certainly not for the last. I had become something of a gambler?if not in reality, then in essence. And when a gambler is down big, he doesn?t try to win it all back in a hundred small wagers. No. He keeps taking the long shot, because he?s so sure that on the next turn, it?s going to hit, and all will be well. He needs to get well

 

The gambler keeps making the bet, because what are the odds that life is so unfair?

 

For a while I spent my days on horseback as a bounty hunter, chasing outlaws across the plains. At last, a greater purpose: humbling men who would spend their one chance at life making things difficult for people who already had a tough go. Certainly, there was some risk involved in this. I found comfort in the fact that rock bottom was a dignified death, and one that would hurt nobody but me.

 

Except for my poor mother.

 

I learned of her passing in a short letter from the Baker?s daughter, who by then was the Baker.

 

Come home, Cowboy, it said in ledger-like scrawl. Fever took your ma.

 

I should have gone to her right away, but I was afraid of what I'd find. Of course, at the time, I didn't have the wits about me to see it that way; at once I found myself inexorably focused on the bounty I was chasing. The man was no more than half a day's ride ahead, so I figured I could finish the job before starting the journey back.

 

I finally cornered him in a stable and told him he was wanted, dead or alive. I'd been extraordinarily careful, and had only killed two men in the course of my career. They were bad men, and men who would rather die than see the consequences of their own actions Never, ever, would I take pleasure in the act. I wouldn't draw it out or be cruel. I wouldn't mangle the mark.

 

Never, ever, until that night. I can't bear to repeat what I did. Just know that, as a result, I was relieved of my authority and pointed to the nearest chapel.

 

Instead I came home for the funeral. In the hours surrounding the service, several townsfolk took it upon themselves to whisper in my ear that I wasn?t looking well. Finally, at the last of these encounters, I snapped. ?Well, damn it! Why should I?? I shouted. ?Why should I look well? God is sick, his creation is sick!?

 

?It?s a part of His plan,? someone said. I don?t remember who; I was blind with rage. Out of instinct, I stormed back to my family home and shut myself inside for days on end.

 

I could have sworn that I only came home for the funeral, but I never did leave.

 

Grass is too fixed in place, too tightly packed. The rot in one blade can spread from plant to plant through crossed roots. I thought myself more like the tumbleweed. I kept my rot to myself, and lived knowing that the wind could one day pick up and carry me far away. I needed to know that the people around me would be no worse off for it.

 

And so, unwilling to send down roots and yet too tired to run away, I faded into the background. Years passed, and I became an almost-unnoticed fixture at the local saloons. A curiosity to young men and out-of-towners. The strange old coot sitting at the blackjack table, drinking himself sick and betting the long shot. Several times I built a fortune big enough to retire with, but just as often, I threw it all away. I was on a rickety old wagon, and I was going to ride it until the axle snapped.

 

In the meantime, I learned to laugh at my lot in life. I befriended the Baker at least, who showed me that even bad hands can make bread. I grew close with nobody but her, and even we were not that close. To the rest I was a part of the setting, and that was how I wanted things.

 

More importantly, I learned to make other people laugh. I played the fool. I poked fun at blowhards and tyrants. I told crass jokes to children when their parents weren?t in earshot.

 

To make others suffer is the worst suffering of all; to ease others' suffering is Heaven. I did what I could to be a blessing, not a burden, and that made me light.

 

I hardly noticed my old age until I started getting blisters on my hand from leaning so heavily on my cane.

 

One windy day, a visitor came to town from the East.

 

?Does the wind always blow this way?? he asked.

 

?No mister,? said I. ?It?ll maybe blow this way for a week or ten days, and then it?ll take a change and blow like hell.?

 

The Easterner chuckled?I think not because of the joke, but because he didn?t expect me to tell it. We looked out at the ridges on the prairie, where the dry brown grass rippled like river rapids. I met his eyes, then averted my gaze.

 

?Forgive me for saying so, sir,? he said. ?But you really don?t look well. Would you like to sit down??

 

I waved him away. ?A storm is coming. You?ll want to get yourself to an inn.?

 

Back at home, I collapsed on the bed. My abdomen spasmed, shockwaves of pain pulsating through me. I painstakingly pushed myself onto my back and removed my hat, dashing it to the floor. It was time for me to go. I unholstered my revolver. The kiss of cold steel on my temple was a kiss goodbye, almost comforting. In the end...

 

I didn?t have the guts.

 

?Forgive me, father,? I whispered.

 

Cancer, the resurgence of which I had hidden from everybody for years, finally got me. The gun, which had been set to my head since birth, went off.

 

The last sound I heard in life was the patter of raindrops on a tin roof, like tiny drums marching me into the hereafter. My spirit left my body, invisible, immaterial, passing through the window like smoke through a screen. I stood?perhaps it could more aptly be said that I hovered?beneath the lantern on my porch, feeling the warmth of the light fade away.

 

The sky opened, and I idly wondered whether it had opened just for me. A portal, perhaps? To whatever?s up there? But however hard I strained my eyes at the darkening sky, I couldn't see anything. I was as blind as God.

 

Thunder shook the house as four figures ran up the street toward me, shouting. One was the Sheriff, one was the Pharmacist carrying his black bag, and the woman between them was the Baker In their wake was the Easterner, who evidently had alerted the whole town to my sorry state. It wasn?t supposed to be like this. I was supposed to go quietly. Cleanly.

 

The three men rushed inside to try and reinvigorate me, but the Baker stopped short and stood in the street, arms folded over her bodice. After all I put her through, she ought to have been relieved, but it didn't seem so. The lines in her face told me that she was crying, even as her tears washed away with the rain.

 

Maybe I didn?t have roots here, but this place, these people, had roots in me. It wasn?t so easy to leave it all behind.

 

In life I took the long bet and came up short.

 

Still, I was lucky.

 

Maybury was a quiet place. Five and a half thousand people lived in it, but it wound a long way out into Nevada desert. Less a town, more a collection of villages scattered through the prickly-pear cacti and low scrubland. 

 

Prometheus arrived in the mid-afternoon when the sun was patiently cracking open the sidewalk. Even the weeds between the cracks were limp with heat. The few people out kept their heads down, hats tilted forward to hide their faces. When he killed the engine, he could almost hear the backs of their necks sizzling.

 

He got out and shut the door. The car settled back onto its haunches. He'd driven a long way with it, this rusting black wreck, and this was its final stop. 

 

?Prometheus??

 

A tall, rangy woman emerged from one of the closest houses. It was an old thing, first-settler style, all wooden porches and scorched doors. She looked like she could be first-settler herself. Her pale hair was braided back from her face, shaded by a black cowboy hat. Her boots were leather. Prometheus saw the marks of spurs.

 

"Hello,? he said. He was not surprised she knew his name. Maybury was one of those places, the kind that remembered what came before them. The new America, glass and steel and honking yellow taxis, wouldn?t recognise him. He could hide well enough there, but he belonged here. 

 

?You might wanna take that coat off,? she said. ?It?s awful hot.?

 

Prometheus looked down. His tan trenchcoat was rolled to the elbows, the one concession he?d made to the heat. His shirt sleeves were still cuffed at the wrists with small golden pins. They reflected bright and hot into his eyes. 

 

The woman watched him a moment longer His skin was sun-stained, grey beard trimmed and hair curly. He had a curious air to him. Something ancient in his stillness.

 

?I?m Cass,? she said, breaking the buzzing silence.

 

?A lovely name,? he said. ?Greek. I knew a Cassandra once. She was very kind.?

 

?Nice to meet you. You?re rentin? the old place off Main??

 

Prometheus looked upwards. She followed his gaze. Two birds were circling overhead, so high they were mere black specks in the sun, but he seemed to know what they were. When he returned his face to hers there was a weariness in those grey eyes.

 

She said, ?I?ll show you to it." 

 

There was not, Prometheus saw, much to Maybury. They passed house after house, the yards filled with rusting metal or strangling weeds. Once they walked by a playground. It was clean and colourful, the plastic stark against the scrub behind it, and utterly empty

 

?The jackrabbits like it,? Cass said, catching his glance. ?Ain?t many kids around. People sorta end up here, you know? No one moves in. They just return.?

 

He nodded once. He didn?t seem to be sweating even though Cass was wiping her brow in denim shorts and a sleeveless top. Unnerved, she said, ?Your Cass sounded nice.?

 

?She wasn?t anyone?s. Humans-? and he stopped abruptly. They both stood still. The desert blew a hot wind around their ankles. 

 

?Go on,? she said. ?We get all sorts round these parts. Only thing you?ll catch hell for is blowin? off a neighbour needin? help.?

 

?Hell has already caught me,? he said shortly, and resumed walking. ?But I appreciate the warning. It reflects well on people to show hospitality to strangers."

 

"Mmm. We put the effort in. Never wanted it be an old Sodom and Gomorrah kinda place."

 

He swept her a glance. She shrugged. "My daddy was the religious type. Guess some of it got through."

 

"I suppose my people would have called you Baucis," he said after a moment. "Although we're a long way from Phrygia."

 

"What's that?"

 

"Nothing," he said, half to himself, half to her. She recognised the expression of someone adrift in memories and let him be 

 

They stopped at last outside a rickety house. A swingbench groaned on its raised porch. The white paint was flaking from the wood. 

 

Cass gave him the keys and he went calmly up the steps to creak the door open. His trench coat rustled like wings. She glanced up to the sky and saw the black spots in the sun had dropped closer, still circling slowly. Despite the heat, she had the oddest urge to shiver. 

 

Inside the house, Prometheus stood in the living room. On the far wall of the living room, there was a faded white mark where a large cross had been taken down. There was a nail mark in the plaster where Jesus' head would had been. 

 

From the roof, there was the scratching of talons. 

 

"Is it close?" Cass asked. She had come up the steps behind him and was standing in the doorway. "Judgement Day? Whatever you call it. Ragnarok."

 

"That was the Scandinavians," he said, and turned to her. Her hat cast a sharp shadow across the bridge of her nose and pointed chin. She seemed very calm in asking the question, as if the answer would come as no surprise. "What were you hoping for?"

 

"Me, I'm not so sure. My ma wanted to stay for it. She said she wanted to see the angels walking the streets. Said the sidewalk'd crack from their light. My old neighbour, he thinks the stars are gonna fall and we'll go out and watch 'em. And me, well." She shrugged unselfconsciously. "Guess I wanted to see somethin' holy. Somethin' more divine than a preacher in a pulpit. But I don't know where you fit into that."

 

"The end is the end," Prometheus said mildly. "If you want to catch the stars, you can." 

 

"Mm. They'd be awful hot to hold, I bet."

 

He nodded and began at last to remove his cufflinks. He placed them carefully on the low table, their shine muted by the wood, and rolled up his sleeves. 

 

There were marks on his forearms. Cass had never seen manacle scars, but she knew instinctively that was what they were. Twin bands of shiny scar tissue circled his wrists. He saw her looking. 

 

"Somebody do that to you?" she said. 

 

"A friend. It was a long time ago now."

 

"You deserve it?" 

 

"I did." 

 

Her chin dipped in acknowledgment. His scars didn't scare her. She'd seen worse before. The only thing that unnerved her was the scratching on the roof. It sounded like birds were trying to peck through. 

 

"I'd offer you coffee," Prometheus said. "But the birds will be here soon and I don't want you to see it."

 

Cass saw a resignation in his face. The noise from above was increasing. "Thought they were eagles at first When I saw them circling."

 

That earned her a grim, tired smile. "Lots of people do. You know what they are?" 

 

"Vultures." 

 

Two vultures, with naked pink heads and cruel curving beaks. Cass could imagine their brown plumage fluffing on the chimney. She knew they were vultures, and she knew who the tall man in front of her was. All these eons and he hadn't changed his name. 

 

"Why here?? she said. 

 

Prometheus leant against the wall. In the light from the dusty window, his scars gleamed. He was taller than her, she realised, and broader, and his shadow spread wide behind him. She had the sensation of looking up at him, further than should have been necessary. 

 

?Why not here?? he said, and his voice was soft and rumbling as thunder. ?Why not a stranger in a small town? I?ve been a stranger in many a place and many a time. I was a stranger when I brought the light down from the mountainside and a stranger when I was chained to the rock.?

 

His face almost shone. Cass blinked hard to rid herself of the dancing spots in her peripherals. From above, the vultures scratched. From below, the ground steadied. Across from her, Prometheus smiled. 

 

?Go home, Cass,? he said. ?You?ve got enough divinity in you. Your maker put stardust in your veins.?

 

She could have gone to her knees right then and there for the power in his voice, but she?d seen through plenty a hurricane. She was a daughter of the desert and he saw it. His stare softened. ?You?ll be all right.?

 

?Will you?? she asked. ?When it comes??

 

Prometheus smiled again. An ancient flame lit his eyes. "Yes," he said. "I think I will, Cassandra. Take care of yourself, now.?

 

Cass walked away from the house, head down, hands in her pockets. When she got halfway down the street she turned and looked back. Blood was dribbling towards the closest drain, stirring up the dust in the roads. The air was heavy with heat-haze.

 

 

From inside the house, she heard the harsh shriek of a vulture 

No comments:

Post a Comment